Thursday, May 31, 2012

Iron Deficiency and a late welcome to CA

This morning I got a phone call from my doctor's office informing me that my gestational diabetes test came back negative! Yay! That would have been awful...a Cheryl who couldn't eat sugar...can't even imagine it! But, a different blood test showed that my iron levels were too low, so now I get to take Iron supplements on top of my prenatal vitamins which already contain Iron. Out of curiosity I decided to look up "iron deficiency during pregnancy" on Google to see what the side effects are. I found lots of symptoms, but these three were the ones that made me think, "Aha, I'm not going crazy, I just need more Iron!"
#1 - Tired, weak, dizziness
#2 - Irritability
#3 - Grooves and color change on fingernails
Hmmm...guess that explains some things! In case you're curious like I was, Iron deficiency is extremely common during weeks 24-34 of pregnancy. I'm not sure why those weeks are the most common, but it's nice to know my doctor also knew that and checked my Iron levels during week 24. Hopefully after taking my supplements I'll start to have more energy!
I also found out that red meat has lots of iron, so guess what we had for dinner tonight? If you guessed "steak" you are correct!
I may have gone a little overboard on the sides...I decided I had to have pasta salad AND potato salad to go with my baked potato (crazy, I know) AND a green salad...
AND Alison's Awesome Ambrosia Salad
Sorry, this is the only picture with the ambrosia salad (Upper Left)...but it is delicious--Thank you Alison!
On another note,
I had a slightly awkward conversation today with the cashier at the grocery store today. She asked me how many months along I was and asked if I was having a boy or girl. Then I asked her if she had any kids, which she said she has two girls. Then somehow the conversation shifted and she mentioned that she had a brother-in-law who is two years old. So I asked her if her husband was the oldest in his family. She responded that she didn't have a husband...so I said something to the effect of "oh, your boyfriend?"
I was trying to figure out any other way she could have a brother-in-law that was two years old without being married. The only thing that came to my mind was that one of her siblings had to have married a two year old and that just seemed a little too out there. 
Finally she tells me, "I have a wife."
Oh....that's how you have a brother-in-law that's two without having a husband. 
The conversation quickly nose-dived after that and I really found no way to save it. Welcome to California!

3 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Wish we could of had dinner at your house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. man, I have been CRAVING the ambrosia salad for 2 weeks!! And can't seem to find the pasta anywhere.. grr! They are always out when I go. So weird you made it! mmmmm :) and I probably would have done the same thing with the grocery lady..oops! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison, I had been looking for the pasta at every store I went to since we moved here and couldn't find it! Then, I went to a ward party and someone had made a pasta salad with them, so I asked her were she got them and she ended up giving me a box. But, she said she found them at an Italian specialty store...weird that no one out here carries it! Hopefully you find some soon!

    ReplyDelete