Friday, May 4, 2012

Cinco de Mayo

Tomorrow is going to be a busy day for Tyler and I. Unfortunately, nothing on our schedule has anything to do with Cinco de Mayo. We have a birthday party at a local park for our friend's little girl who is turning uno, and later at that same park we have a party celebrating the dental students who are graduating from our ward. So, lunch and dinner are already planned out. However, eating Mexican food...namely tacos...is one of my favorite things, so I couldn't bear to pass up this great holiday. So in honor of Cinco de Mayo, Tyler and I are having "Tacos Carne Asada" for dinner tonight. Yum! I spent about an hour this morning just making the marinade for the steak, so I can hardly wait to enjoy these yummy tacos!
In other Mexican food news, I found this awesome recipe for salsa last weekend on Pinterest. I made it and it has definitely become my new go-to salsa recipe. What I really love about it is that you can use it all year round whether the veggies are in season or not...just as long as you can find some cilantro, you're in business! And, thanks to the ninja food processor my mom got me last year, all I had to do was throw everything in there and blend it away. I was slightly worried that I made way too much salsa but after two trips to the grocery store to buy more tortilla chips, we're down to the bottom of the bowl and I'm contemplating making some more...it is Quatro de Mayo after all!
And as it is Quatro de Mayo, I had to celebrate by making a Mexican rice and cheddar cheese quesadilla (with a side of the delicious salsa and sour cream), breaking out the actual quesadilla maker and everything! This holiday may be moving up in my books to "Tastiest Holiday"?
Yesterday I was craving a Sonic drink. It's kind of sad that of all the places I've lived, this is the first place that doesn't have a Sonic nearby! I mean come on...Enterprise, AL has a Sonic, LA doesn't??? Well, that little dilemma was corrected by a homemade cherry limeade. It was delicious! And we drank them in our "wine" glasses so it was even more fun. If you ever have a hankering for a cherry limeade, here's my recipe:

1. Put a slice of lime and a maraschino cherry in each cup/glass
2. Blend up some ice-cubes in your Ninja or other blending device (until it looks like snow) and fill cups with the ice
3. In a pitcher combine half a frozen concentrate of limeade with 1 liter of Sprite
4. Using a turkey baster or other magical device take some juice (like half) from a jar of maraschino cherries and add to the sprite/limeade concoction.
5. Pour drink into cups and enjoy.
Seriously, so good! 

But don't worry...I've done more than just eating today! Not a whole lot more, but a little bit more. I was having trouble fitting all my clothes in my closet so I went through and put all my "winter" (maybe fall is a more accurate description) clothes in my huge Ziploc storage container and got them out of my closet. I also went through and pulled out all the clothes I've been hanging on to but will probably never be able to fit into again. Seeing as I didn't fit into them before I was pregnant, I'm thinking the odds are pretty slim. I was planning on giving them to some Young Women in my ward, but honestly, I'm not sure if they'll fit anyone, so they may be getting donated to DI soon. But at least now all my clothes are fitting nicely in my closet and drawers.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you have been having fun in the kitchen. Love the recipe for cherry lemonade will have to try that out. The salsa looks fabulous. You will have to share that recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you click on the words "salsa recipe" in the paragraph above the picture it should take you to the recipe. Whenever you see anything in bold it should be a hyperlink to whatever I was talking about. Hope that helps!

      Delete