Thursday, August 23, 2012

D-Day Approaches

Yesterday I had my 38.5 week appointment. After the disappointment I felt after my last appointment I decided to prepare for the worst...no progression, baby's coming a week or so late. But, to my astonishment I was completely wrong! The doctor did an ultrasound and seemed completely astonished to find that while my uterus has been measuring small this whole time, my baby is over 8 pounds. Geeze! Who would have guessed? I sure didn't, and the look on the doctor's face made me believe he didn't either. He immediately let me know he didn't think it would be a good idea to go past my due date as this little guy is plenty large enough!
And, the really good news is that he double-checked for me and sure enough, we are still having a boy! That was a huge stress-reliever. I was so sure he was going to come out and be a girl. :)
Then the doctor checked my cervix and come to find out - he did lie to me last week. But, this week I was really dilated to a 1. But then he stretched it a bit to a 2 - ouch! - and said he thought that would hopefully help me start having contractions and have this baby already. He scheduled my next appointment for Monday morning, but made it sound like he wouldn't be surprised if he saw me before then. But if not, he seemed optimistic that I'd be having the baby on Monday.
I've been so anxious to have my doctor tell me the baby was ready to be born for so long it feels unreal to have him tell me it's actually time. And since my appointment I've started having a cramping feeling that I haven't felt before so I'm thinking they're mini contractions.
I can't wait to meet this little baby! Hopefully within the next couple of days he'll be here! Now I just have to re-clean my whole house! How is it that a house never stays clean? It's so frustrating!

1 comment: